12.15.2010

The Duchess

SYNOPSIS:
Keira Knightly (Georgiana Spencer)  is arranged to be married to the Duke of Devonshire (Ralph Fiennes). After marriage, a love/hate triangle ensues. Keira discovers that there is no love in the marriage and she was only used to produce an heir to the throne.

MY TAKE:
This is a film about broken relationships. It is about how status and power and greed can corrupt the heart and mind. It's only natural to feel for Keira, as she tries to weave her way through the mess of corruption that is Devonshire, only to find herself trapped at every possible outlet. I found myself uncomfortable throughout the film because I couldn't find a redeeming quality among any of the supporting characters, and the one that I did feel for, was trapped at every turn.

Where this film falls flat is in it's supporting characters and can be exampled in the Duke of Devonshire.  He is introduced as an isolated, glacial man who's sole desire an heir to his throne. In all of his cynicism, there is a perfect opportunity to learn where this man came from, yet the film never produces such a story. With the Duke, I know that I hate him and that's how I'm supposed to feel about him for the rest of the film.  Where's the fun in that? I need to not know if I like him or not. I want that inner conflict within myself to keep me guessing.  This is consistent with the rest of the supporting characters and the film lacks depth because of it.

One thing to admire is that this film chronicles the journey of a woman that doesn't stop fighting against her unfortunate circumstances.  She is determined to persevere.  This journey or resilience was inspiring and with all it's feminism also helped me tap into my inner beauty.

Overall I would rate it 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment